Five Hills Merlot Malbec 2019, Waiheke Island
Price from: $48.00
Leather, blackberry, medjool date and doris plum aromatics bounce from the glass. Rosemary flowers also subtly there, along with savoury, toasty spices from the oak. The palate has solid tannin structure and beautiful shape, which will integrate and soften with time ageing in bottle. There are blackcurrant, savoury smoky roast meat, coffee and chocolate flavours on the palate, with a mineral texture that is reminiscent of clay pots hot from the kiln, and volcanic rock. The natural acidity of the Malbec and our place, provides direction and length. All are attributes that secure us in the knowledge that this wine is built to age.
- Winemaker: Chloe Somerset
- Variety: 55% Merlot, 45% Malbec
- Vintage: 2019
- Region: Waiheke Island
- Single Vineyard: Estate
- Alcohol: 13%
- Fermentation/Aging: Whole-berry ferment, matured in French oak barriques
- Sweetness: Dry
- Cellaring Potential: This wine will reward cellaring for 15+ years, or will be thoroughly enjoyable upon release for a more robust experience!
- Awards and reviews: 92 points, James Suckling